At CG Strategy (CGS), we view ourselves as a community of practitioners dedicated to becoming better at what we do. Our focus is not on becoming larger, or more profitable, but on doing great work. We don’t take a cookie cutter approach to our engagements. We’re excited about new approaches, tools and ideas, and allow our consultants an enormous degree of flexibility in problem solving. Our solutions are rooted in organization development and change management concepts, including systems theory, learning organizations and Appreciative Inquiry. Our consultants do not have billable hour targets or business development quotas. People come here because they love the work. We have a small, dedicated team and a large network of partners, which fosters creativity and flexibility.
CGS was founded in 1989 and is a woman-owned, small business consulting firm. We have more than 25 years of experience serving public, non-profit and private sector organizations from the nation’s capital. Our mission is to help our clients deliver on their public promise. We partner with our clients to explore possibilities, design approaches that will successfully achieve outcomes, and navigate through the complexities of implementation. Together with our community of experienced partners, we position our clients to achieve superior results and develop the in-house capability to sustain them.
Our consultants primarily work locally with government and nonprofit leaders. The services we offer include:
- Organizational Change Management
- Strategic Planning & Alignment
- Organizational & Resource Analysis
- Business Transformation
- Organizational Performance Management & Evaluation
The supporting methods and tools we commonly use to deliver our services include:
- Meeting Design & Facilitation
- Social Science Data Methods
- Individual & Group Assessments
- Executive & Team Coaching
CGS has a unique organizational culture that stems from our mission and values. To sustain our culture and ensure CGS is an incredible place to work, it is important to us that our new team members believe in, and are willing to live by, our values of teamwork, open communication, commitment to excellence, ongoing learning and fun.
As an Organization Development and Change Management Consultant / Project Lead, you will become a trusted advisor, working closely with your clients. You will design and implement multiple projects (2-4 projects, each varying in size, duration and scope) in collaboration with other Project Leads and Consultants. Most of your work will be managed from our office in Arlington, with frequent client visits. (Occasional travel is required).
You will help develop project approaches and lead or support multiple project teams with minimal oversight. You will create, manage and quality check client deliverables in consultation with other Consultants and CGS leadership. Project proposals average around $100K-200K per assignment (and range in size from $10K to million dollar, multi-year projects). Given the size of our business, each team member also has the opportunity to play a critical role in the overall sustainment of the firm to include business development, firm operations, marketing and outreach, strategic planning, recruiting, and events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
In this role, you will:
- Lead and design projects that support large scale organization change efforts for our clients.
- Create and implement strategies that support organizational change (e.g., change readiness assessments, stakeholder analysis and engagement, communications, training, mentoring, executive and team coaching, metrics development)
- Design, lead and contribute to strategic planning initiatives.
- Develop strategies that help organizational leadership define and fulfill their mission objectives. Identify methods that empower employees to co-create solutions.
- Lead or contribute to organization design projects.
- Work closely with senior leaders on organizational performance management measures.
- Design and facilitate off-site events and other stakeholder related events.
- Design and administer data collection tools including interviews, focus groups and surveys.
- Build and monitor project plans and schedules and ensure timely delivery of all project artifacts and deliverables. Work closely with the Chief Operating Officer and ensure all contractual project management responsibilities are fulfilled.
- Manage client relationships. Attend client meetings as required. Facilitate client meetings as needed.
- Create and deliver project deliverables.
- Participate in firm sustainment and business development activities, including serving on proposal-writing and review teams.
Essential Education, Experience, Skills, and Competencies
This position requires the following:
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree preferred.
- 5-8 years of consulting experience. Demonstrated management consulting skills, and the ability to influence change within an organization.
- Experience working with Federal Government leaders.
- Experience in Organization Development and Change Management.
- Experience in agenda design, meeting planning, and large and small group facilitation.
- Experience leading/managing or supporting projects and project teams (including staff, budget and schedule).
- Presentation, facilitation and training skills, including creation, presentation and delivery of material.
- Stellar interpersonal and relationship building skills to interface effectively at all levels of an organization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong problem solving/analytical skills.
- Strong organization and project management skills.
- Extensive experience with the Microsoft suite of programs (Word, Excel, Project, Power Point, Visio).
- Occasional travel required.
- Values alignment: You naturally apply the values of teamwork, open communication, commitment to excellence, ongoing learning and fun on a daily basis.
- Leader and great facilitator: You have a proven track record of getting results by building strong relationships and partnerships. You hold others accountable to their commitments and you faithfully keep your word. You are an excellent facilitator or have the desire to learn how to easily lead groups to consensus, bring a high level of professionalism to the table and build effective relationships.
- Priority management: You easily identify what is important and what is a priority, you are able to shift gears and reprioritize as needed.
- Judgment: You are thoughtful in your approach. You demonstrate excellent judgment and you are a model of the tact and discretion required of a trusted advisor and consultative business partner.
- Service-driven: You are committed to providing the highest level of service while remaining aligned with the mission of the organization. You collaborate on projects and communicate results, and you are willing to listen and learn from others. You are known for your poise, tact, and diplomacy.
- Excellent communicator: You are an effective communicator in all contexts, from non-technical “lay” audiences to experienced subject matter experts. You are approachable, flexible and responsive. You confidently engage with staff at all levels.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects: You are able to effectively and efficiently manage multiple tasks, allocate and optimize resources, and manage timelines.
- Problem solver: You take things from start to finish. You’re intellectually curious and you work with a sense of urgency. You are detail-oriented, but you can also see the big picture and understand how the details relate to the overall mission of an organization. You are passionate about identifying and meeting challenges through proactive alignment and engagement of key stakeholders.
- Business acumen: You are interested in being part of setting a company’s strategic direction and will work diligently to meet performance targets.
- Self-confident, independent, highly capable and driven: You are known for how you “get things done.” You have everyone’s best interests in mind. You earn trust by your actions and faithfully keep your promises. You are seen as an “honest broker.”
What’s Attractive to the Right Candidate?
- This is a high visibility role. You will be seen as a strategic, thoughtful and collaborative partner. Your clients will appreciate your commitment to their success.
- This is interesting work, and you will like who you work with – a supportive, respectful, and collegial community of practitioners.
- You will “practice” every day – each of our team members is an OD practitioner and consultant first and foremost.
- This is also a fairly autonomous role where you’ll have the support you’ll need but we won’t micromanage. We have “just enough structure” and will trust you to do your job well.
- You have an active voice as a key contributor. We work together and win together, and your ideas and input are an integral part of our success and the success of our clients.
- You’ll have a lot of control over your day and a fairly predictable schedule. Most evenings, you’ll be able to leave work by 5p/6p.
- You will have a home base as the majority of project work is performed at CGS’s office in Arlington, Virginia. We travel to client sites around the Washington, DC area for meetings and as necessary, so overnight travel is rare.
- CGS offers an exceptional employee benefits package, including vacation time, health insurance and retirement.
To apply for the Organization Development and Change Management Consultant / Project Lead position:
Please forward your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Organization Development and Change Management Consultant / Project Lead” in the subject line of the email.